From Policies to Jobs – 25 October 2013
The Passive House Association of Ireland (PHAI) held this year’s annual Irish Passive House Conference, “See The Light”, on Friday 25 October 2013 at DIT (Dublin Institute of Technology).
The conference was a great success, with delegates, exhibitors and organisers all agreeing that the event generated a lot of positivity. A very informative day of talks from a strong line-up of national and international speakers culminated in the keynote address by Prof. Wolfgang Feist founder of the Passive House Institute. This was followed by the panel discussion with Pat Cox former E.U. President and Prof. Brian Norton, President of DIT and chaired by Frank McDonald, environment editor of the Irish Times.
Key messages from the event include:
- There is general buy-in from all in the construction sector for change as evidenced by the variety of attendees at the conference.
- The benefits of linking our conference to an academic setting makes the conference unique in the Irish calendar of events. The great strides that DIT is making to ensure that education is addressing the skills shortages was in evidence during the conference.
- Non domestic Passive House has come of age in Ireland, e.g. Irish distillers, Clonmel pharmacy, Tesco, etc.
- The presence of Prof Wolfgang Feist and other members of the iPHA was extremely valuable for the national representative body.
- The benefits of having delegates to the European project meeting (EuroPHit) attend for part of the conference provided a European flavour to the event.
The PHAI would like to thank all the speakers, the exhibitors and in particular the sponsors: DIT, Munster Joinery, Passive House+ and Irish Distillers.